Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Hunger Games Chapter 4

This week we will be discussing what has taken place so far in the adventure of Katniss Everdeen and her fellow tribute, Peeta Mellark.

Currently, Katniss and Peeta have left their home in District 12, along with Haymitch and Effie Trinket. They have just arrived in the Capital they contiune to prepare to meet their competition in the games, as well as their stylists (a very important group of people.)


I found this image online about what someone thought Panem
would look like. Note that the blue dotted line represents
what is believed to be a new coast line, therefore
everything outside of it would not exist.

Below I have listed a group of discussion questions for you to answer in the comments section for this week. Since no one has come to our meeting today, I will plan to not continue reading until next week, but you must all be caught up to the end of chapter 4 and answer the questions before Monday night at midnight!

Also linked below is a better copy of the book, which includes the chapter breaks to make it easier for us to
know where everyone should be at.
Good Luck!



Discussion Questions

1.The story is written in the first-person, present tense. How does this affect the story?

2. Do you think strategy will be helpful or necessary in the Hunger Games, for what you know about how the games work so far? And if so, how?

3. How does Katniss feel about Peeta by the end of chapter 4? How do you think this will affect her in the games or any stragety she might be planning?


The Hunger Games -Better Copy



9 comments:

  1. 1.Because is written at first-person make the story more subjective and the the autor make close relations with the others characters.

    2.Strategy will be helpful for Katniss because like this she'll survive,being focuse on this point,be one step ahead of others.

    3. She observed that Peeta Mallark fithing for surviving more than her and is ready to kill her for that,this boy who give her the bread.That will affect her strategy because he was in it.

    Gabriela fron 8C(I wish I've done this right:-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabriela,

    Great job! Your answers have some grammatical mistakes. which we will talk about on Wednesday, but your ideas and views about the story are excellent!

    I think it is great that you see Katniss as a surviver. When I was orignally reading the story, it took me a long time to realize that this was the main part of her soul. Well done, you understood it, right away!

    Also, I loved that you thought the story was subjective because it was written in first person. Having Katniss as the narrorator immediately puts us (the reader) on her side because we understand everything from her mind.

    Very impressive thoughts! Thank you for your comments and I cannot wait to discuss the story with you on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.When the story is written at first-person,the author becomes character.He express his opinion on facts,things or characters.In this case the story becomes subjective.

    2.I think that the strategy will be helpful in the Hunger Games for Katniss because she is a surviver.

    3.Katniss see that Peeta fighting more for survive and she is ready to kill her.He was in the strategy and this affect the strategy.

    Simona-8C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simona,

    I am so happy that you are joining the club!

    I thought your comments were very intelligent. There are a few gammar problems, but we will go over them tomorrow, but the most important thing is that you are making yourself understood! Great job!

    I know that you have read the story on your own, so far. If you are ever confused or need some explanation, just email or call me.

    I know that this story is difficult, so I expect lots of questions from everyone!

    See you tomorrow at 12 o'clock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Being written in the first-person, the story is more expressive. We see the whole thing, the action through the author`s perspective and at the same time through the main character`s perspective.
    2. Yes, I think the strategy would help Katniss. She could take a step forward before anyone would even think of it.
    3. She realizes that Peeta is not the kind boy who gave her the loaf of bread some time ago and he already started trying to get her down. Now she does not want to have anything to do with him, and I think that this is the way to a bit of luck.
    Ruxi, 8B :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Because the story was written from the perspective of the character, the whole action will be seen by the reader from the character's perspective, always seing the action the same as the character. I agree with the other girls that the story also becomes subjective.
    2. Strategy is helpful in all the challenges in life so Katniss will have a precise plan to survive in the Hunger Games.
    3. Katniss sees that Peeta is changed he's not the boy who gave her the loaf of bread anymore and he's already trying to get her down. Even she wanted at first to be friend with him, she realises that only one could win the game so she pushes him away.
    Oana, 8E ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Calina,

    I am really happy that you were able to finish the reading. I think your idea about "creating a closer relationship" between the reader and the main character is very true. I find myself routing for Katniss because I know how she feels and I am emotionally invested in her situation. I am sure you feel the same way too!

    Your comment about not putting all of your eggs in one basket is GENIUS! As we get deeper into the book you will definitely see that her strategy needs to be fluid (meaning that she must change it to adapt to different situations.Therefore, you comment is very true! SHe needs options!

    Thanks for your thoughts and I can't wait to see everyone at the meeting tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. It is written in the first person perspective, because Katniss is the narrathor and this makes the person who is reading to understand the book better and to have a closer relationship with the characters.

    2.Strategy is always necessary even in the life day by day. This helps you to make your enemy defenseless, but not with only one plan. You have to think at your enemy's weak points. And don't underestimate your opponent. Everything is possible.

    3.Katniss thinks that one of them needs to die, but she is attached to Peeta. She knows through what troubles he went.

    Cosmin 7F

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cosmin,

    Thank you for your responses! You did a great job!

    The comments I like the most were to not underestimate your opponent because everything is possible and the fact that Katniss is attached to Peeta. No one else has mentioned that!

    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete